Hello! Sorry that last post was so brief, but I hope you liked the video! Here’s another one for you, with some loose ends tidied…
Hey all, just a quick one this time. My tower defence game has some graphics (disclaimer: none final) and a few new little features and so I figured it’s probably time to show more of what works.
Some people deride video games as some juvenile experience where all you do is murder, or shoot, or something equally disturbing if done in real life. I can understand if they’ve only seen/played those games, but there are so many more titles out there that can be genuinely fun, interesting and engaging for other reasons. Here are a few of my favourite games.
I’ve been implementing a second thread of execution in my current game project for the last few days. I had tried to do this in my previous set of code, but either had constant crashes or half the game not working because that second thread wasn’t ticking over. At that time there was almost no instruction online as to how threads worked in NME, but that has changed recently thanks to the (always excellent) Joshua Granick, whose blog post, “Using Threads with NME“, lists out some basic scenarios for communication between threads. There’s also some useful nuggets of information in this forum thread.
(Note: This article is to be fleshed out once I can install Maya again to access my saved models and screenshot them!)
For a little while just before work began on that XNA RTS game that was quickly cancelled, I was trying to learn 3D modelling in Maya. Me and my accomplice were both programmers, we recognized we were going to have problems with art right away, so I volunteered to try and learn some modelling. I’m not saying I became a virtuoso, but over the few months I was working through the included “Getting Started” tutorial I think I learnt a lot of the basics, and I did produce a number of simple in-game objects that were sadly never used. The largest object I attempted was the main character for a future game which was to be a platformer/puzzle game where you controlled a mouse through a house full of wacky obstacles to escape to freedom. Obviously the game never happened, but I do have a short video of the rigged mouse model with a simple animation.
Pong was a short project attempting to clean up my code base for Pinball, as well as rectify several nasty and hard-to-catch bugs who were only really present because Pinball was based directly on the first Haxe code I’d written which as you can guess, wasn’t totally solid. Eventually the need to rewrite a lot of my core code is what made me cease development on Pinball, although Pong did help resolve several issues. It was also built while Atari was running it’s Pong Indie Developer Challenge, so I wanted to experiment with some alternate game modes, hence the strange selection of gametypes on offer (multiball is still my favourite).
Pinball was my first real project with NME, and influenced everything I’m doing with it now. It was very much an experimental project to gain understanding of how it all worked, and in retrospect, I wrote a lot of very heavy, slow code that was unnecessary.
I love games. I mainly play shooters and racing games — although anything in between is welcomed if it’s charming, funny, or straight-up addictive. Anyway, I’ve played a few racers over the years and here are some of my highlights.
Today I want to briefly talk about a cancelled project from around the time I finished University. Myself and a friend began building a game for this new platform called Windows Phone.